Medical School Application Timeline 2019 - 2020 cycle
Medical school applications are just around the corner. There’s a lot to do and the applying to medical school can be extremely overwhelming!
We’ve laid out an ideal medical school application timeline 2019 to help you get on top of your medical school applications. Of course, there are always roadblocks and obstacles for having a flawless med school admissions cycle.
For more details about medical school applications with hundreds of tips to submit a stellar application, check out our book, Cracking Med School Admissions: Advice from Students Who’ve Been There.
Important Medical School Application Cycle Dates:
May 1: TMDSAS application opens.
May 2: AMCAS application opens. Applicants can start submitting their transcripts.
June 1: AMCAS starts to accept applications.
Important Application Links:
AMCAS (American Medical College Application Service) – Used by most M.D. schools. https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/
TMDSAS (Texas Medical and Dental Schools Application Service) – For medical schools in Texas. http://www.tmdsas.com/medical/homepage.html
AACOMAS (American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine Application Service) used by D.O. schools – http://www.aacom.org/become-a-doctor/applying
Medical School Application Timeline 2019
January – March 2019:
- Meet with your school’s pre med office and see if they write medical school committee letters. If they do, request one and submit all necessary forms, resumes, personal statements. You can read more about medical school committee letters and why they are important in our blog post.
- Start compiling all the internships, jobs, extracurricular activities, and awards since you’re freshmen year. These will be used for the AMCAS work & activities section.
- Brainstorm who your letters of recommenders will be.
- Reach out to current medical students at schools you are interested in to learn more about different med schools.
March – April 2019:
- Brainstorm themes of your application.
- Start writing a resume or CV with all your activities – this will help you write your AMCAS Activities descriptions.
- Brainstorm your personal statement, including stories you can write about.
- Start collecting your official transcripts from ALL the colleges and universities that you have attended. These can include college classes you took in high school and over the summers. Obtaining your official transcript can be a bottle neck for getting your AMCAS verified, so start this process early!
- May 1 – TMDSAS opens. You can start filling out the application!
- May 2 – AMCAS opens. You can start filling out the application and submit your transcripts.
- Write and edit your AMCAS work and activities. Remember, there are 3 activities where you have an extra 1325 characters to write about the “most significant” activities.
- Write and edit your AMCAS personal statement.
- Make your final list of schools that you will apply to.
- June 1 – AMCAS Starts to accept applications
- Verify that your letters of recommendation are sent to AMCAS.
- AMCAS starts verifying your primary application (AMCAS application), including your MCAT scores and grades. Keep a look out if AMCAS needs additional information or if there is a problem with your application being verified.
- Some schools send their secondary applications immediately after your application is verified. Start working on secondary applications as soon as you receive them.
July 2019 – August 2019:
- If you haven’t already, submit your AMCAS application ASAP!
- Keep a look out if AMCAS needs additional information or if there is a problem with your application being verified.
- Continue working on secondary applications and submit them! Confirm that your materials have been received.
Questions from this year’s applicants:
Q. Do I have to submit my AMCAS by June 1?
No, you do not have to submit the day it opens. But, our team wants students to apply as early as possible. Applying early has its advantages. It increases the likelihood you’ll receive secondaries and interviews from medical schools. If our students cannot submit his or her AMCAS application by June 1, then we highly recommend them to submit by June 15.
Q. When should I submit my secondaries?
Submit WAY BEFORE the med school’s official deadline
Think about medical school as having rolling admissions. Even though the official deadline may say “October 1,” DO NOT WAIT UNTIL OCTOBER (OR EVEN SEPTEMBER) TO SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION. The sooner you submit your application, the more likely you will receive an interview.
Send us a question below and we’ll help you get your medical school application to tip-top shape and in-time.