Texas Tech medical school secondary application
Texas Tech Medical School Secondary Application Essay Prompts: 2018 – 2019
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center is responsible for providing primary health care to 108 counties of West Texas. We are interested in hearing about the areas of medicine that interest you.
Please indicate the area(s) of medicine you are interested in and briefly describe your significant activities for each respective interest in the available text box.
- Areas of interest: 100 words or less each
- Practicing in an underserved area
- Rural health
- Medical Research
- Medical Academics
- Primary Care
- Border Health
- Public Health Other (Please describe below)
- Of the activities listed in your primary application, identify 3 that you consider to be the most meaningful in your pursuit of a medical career and explain why. (300 words or less)
- Have you experienced any road bumps in your academic career? (Low academic performance, dropping, retaking, or failing courses, etc.)
- What do you like or dislike most about the area you are from; your hometown? (300 words or less)
- Please describe what you would see as the “ideal” practice for you. (Where, what type of practice – clinic, hospital, specialty, who would be your patients, etc.). (300 words or less)
- If you are applying to a dual degree program, please briefly describe your motivation to pursue this program and any other pertinent information. (e.g. research interests, steps taken to prepare yourself) (350 words or less)
- I am not applying to a dual degree or special program
- Are you applying to FMAT?
- Please tell us about your favorite recreational/leisure activities (300 words or less).
- Do you consider yourself from West Texas or as having West Texas ties?
- Have you participated in any special programs offered by a medical school to help prepare yourself for medical school and a career in medicine?
Texas Tech Medical School Secondary application requires CASPer (Computer Based Assessment for Sampling Personal Characteristics) as part of the medical school secondary application.
Cracking Med School Admissions
Tips & Checklist:
- Check secondary application deadlines for each school.
- When you receive secondaries, make deadlines for yourself about when you will complete them.
- Try to submit your secondary applications within 2 weeks of receiving them.
- Use the secondary application as a way to write about experiences that were not discussed in the primary application.
- Research each school and look for professors, activities, and programs that complement your previous experiences and interests.
- Proofread essays that you are adapting for various schools.
- Submit your secondaries early!
Texas Tech Medical School Secondary Application Essay Prompts: 2017 – 2018
- The Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center Paul L. Foster School of Medicine strives to ensure that its students become respectful physicians who embrace all dimensions of caring for the whole person. Please describe how your personal characteristics or life experiences will contribute to the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center Paul L. Foster School of Medicine community and bring educational benefits to our student body. (1000 characters)
- Is there any further information that you would like the Committee on Admissions to be aware of when reviewing your file that you were not able to notate in another section of this or the AMCAS Application? (1000 characters)
- Why have you chosen to apply to the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center Paul L. Foster School of Medicine and how do you think your education at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center Paul L. Foster School of Medicine will prepare you to become a physician for the future? (1 page, formatted at your discretion, upload as PDF)
Texas Tech Medical School Secondary Application Essay Prompts: 2016 – 2017
- “The mission of the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center – Paul L. Foster School of Medicine is to provide an outstanding education and development opportunities for a diverse group of students, residents, faculty, and staff; advance knowledge through innovation and research; and serve the needs of our socially and culturally diverse communities and regions.” Recognizing the components of this mission and that PLFSOM is located on the US/Mexico border, please describe why you are interested in applying to our school. (300 words or less)
- Please describe how a parent, guardian, friend, relative, or mentor influenced your aspirations to obtain a medical degree. If not applicable, please so indicate. (300 words or less)
- The TTUSHC medical student honor code states “In my capacity as a Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine medical student, I will uphold the dignity of the medical profession. I will, to the best of my ability, avoid actions which might result in harm to my patients. I will protect the dignity of my patients and the deceased, and will protect their confidential information in accordance with the prevailing standards of medical practice. I will not lie, cheat, or steal. I will enter into professional relationships with my colleagues, teachers, and other health care professionals in a manner that is respectful and reflective of the high standards and expectations of my profession. I will not tolerate violations of this Code by others and will report such violations to the appropriate authorities.” Please describe briefly past experiences or personal attributes that reflect your affinity with this honor code. (300 words or less)
- Please describe any personal experiences or disadvantage (educational, financial or otherwise) and their significance to you in your pursuit of a medical degree. If not applicable, please so indicate. (300 words or less)