Hi premeds! This page serves as a high-yield resource for University of Michigan Medical School admissions. The information from this page is a GOLDEN resource to help you understand how to get into University of Michigan medical school. We’ve compiled it from University of Michigan medical school acceptance rate data, University of Michigan medical school admissions statistics, the University of Michigan med school website, and most importantly, from University of Michigan med students themselves! You will have facts such as admissions statistics, but you’ll get an insider perspective about the curriculum.
Whether you’re comparing medical schools that you have been accepted to, preparing for an interview, or wanting to learn more about University of Michigan mMedical School, this keep reading.
Need help getting accepted to University of Michigan Medical School? Get the Cracking Med School Admissions team’s expertise. Several of our students have received acceptances into University of Michigan Medical School. If you have questions, contact us.
WHY CHOOSE UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN MEDICAL SCHOOL?
The most common reasons we’ve heard from students:
- Excellent clinical training
- Many students get involved with research
- Great for primary care and specialty-focused fields
- Diverse medical school class
Table of Contents
University of Michigan Medical School admissions includes CASPer (Computer Based Assessment for Sampling Personal Characteristics).
Timing: The University of Michigan Medical School admissions office advises students to submit the secondary application as soon as possible. The UMich secondary application is one that the Cracking Med School Admissions team advises students to turn around ASAP. But, of course, do not compromise quality! We advise applicants to pre-write the essays for the University of Michigan secondary application essays.
University of Michigan Medical School Secondary Application Essay Prompts (2020-2021):
Essay 1) Comment on how you hope to impact medicine in the future. If examples are needed, feel free to refer to our eight Paths of Excellence. Do not exceed 1500 characters (about 250 words).
Essay 2) At the University of Michigan Medical School, we are committed to building a superb educational community with students of diverse talents, experiences, opinions, and backgrounds. What would you as an individual bring to our medical school community? Do not exceed 1500 characters (about 250 words).
Essay 3) Tell us something you are passionate about and why. Do not exceed 1500 characters (about 250 words).
Essay 4) Describe your experience in a leadership position, the challenges that presented themselves in that position and what you did to contribute to the success of the team or project. Do not exceed 1500 characters (about 250 words).
University of Michigan Medical School
- Mastering the Multiple Mini Interview
Master the Multiple Mini Interview
Learn How to Confidently Tackle:
University of Michigan Medical School Acceptance Rate
University of Michigan Medical School Admissions Statistics:
- University of Michigan Medical School Average GPA: 3.81
- University of Michigan School Average MCAT: 516 (129 chemical & physical / 128 critical analysis / 129 biological & biochemical / 130 psychological, social)
How did University of Michigan Medical School Students Do on Their USMLE Step Exams?
- Average University of Michigan Medical School USMLE Step 1 Score: 242
- Average University of Michigan Medical School USMLE Step 2 Score: 250
Source: U.S. News Graduate School Rankings 2021
Your medical school application Coaches, Mentors, & Cheerleaders
We Personally Advise Every Student We Work With
Rachel Rizal, M.D.
Changing the trajectory of people’s lives
Stanford School of Medicine
Harvard, Emergency Medicine
Awards & Scholarships
USA Today Academic First Team
Rishi Mediratta, M.D., M.Sc., M.A.
Advising students to attend their dream schools
Johns Hopkins University
Stanford School of Medicine
Awards & Scholarships
Global Health Scholar
Each year, the Cracking Med School Admissions team
gets people accepted to their dream medical schools.
We can help you get accepted!
Contact us today.
The Insider’s View on University of Michigan Medical School's Pre-clinical years
How to Get Into University of Michigan Medical School – Know the Curriculum
University of Michigan Medical School Curriculum Overview:
As a University of Michigan Medical School student, you are only doing pre-clinical coursework for your first year of medical school. Then, you do a year of clinical clerkships, followed by your USMLE Step 1 and then more advanced clinical clerkship & electives. You learn clinical skills through clinical cases relevant to the block you are studying. Learn more about the overall curriculum here.
The first year at University of Michigan Medical School focuses on organ-based courses. Students also learn about doctoring and leadership.
The blocks during the second year are:
- Gastrointestinal / Nutrition
- Infectious diseases & microbiology
- Immunopathology & skin
- Behavioral Science
How to Get Into University of Michigan Medical School – Know Unique Opportunities
Unique highlights about pre-clinical years:
- Class that focuses on evidence-based medicine
- One year of pre-clinical training
- Complete organ-based approach
- Emphasis on leadership in medicine
- Several classes are in small group discussions of 10-12 students
University of Michigan offers a wide range of dual degrees, including a Masters in Hospital Administration.
Taking Time Off:
Most MD candidates at University of Michigan graduate within 4 years.
What students are saying about UMich Medical School
The Insider’s View on University of Michigan Medical School's clinical Years
University of Michigan Medical School Clinical Curriculum:
You start your 2nd year with the transition to clerkship course. The core clerkships are:
- Family Medicine
- Internal Medicine
- Surgery & Applied Sciences
Unique highlights about clinical years:
- Starting clerkships during your second year, giving you more time to explore your interests and do research in your final 2 years of medical school
- Longitudinal clerkship where you work with one preceptor throughout an entire year
- Taking USMLE Step 1 after one year of clerkships
- Offer “Residency Prep Courses” which are four to eight week courses to help you with encounters you will have in residency. They are offered in surgery, OB/GYN, internal medicine, pediatrics, primary care, and emergency medicine.
- During your fourth year, you can focus on electives that target specific patient populations, procedures, radiology/pathology, and hospital administration.
What students are saying about clinical rotations at UMich Med
Where do students live?
Students can apply for graduate housing during medical school, however most students find off-campus housing.
Many students have a car, and you usually drive to your clinical rotation sites.
Michigan state residents can take advantage of the in-state tuition.
- University of Michigan Medical School in-state Tuition: ~$40,000
- University of Michigan Medical School out-of-state Tuition: ~$60,000
- Room and board: ~$25,000
- Average indebtedness of 2019 graduates: ~$133,000
Cracking Med School Admissions Resources
Here are useful Cracking Med School Admissions resources:
- How To Write A Personal Statement For Medical School
- Download Cracking Med School Admission’s FREE AMCAS Activities Workbook
- Premed Timeline: Planning For Medical School Applications
Read our other popular school blogs here: