Yale Medical School Secondary Application
Yale Medical School Secondary Application Essay Prompts: 2018 – 2019
- Yale School of Medicine values diversity in all its forms. How will your background and experiences contribute to this important focus of our institution and inform your future role as a physician?
(Please select one of the following):
MD applicants: Please answer either one of the following questions
MD/PhD applicants: Please answer question 2 as it pertains to your proposed PhD research.
- While there is great emphasis on the physician-patient relationship, Yale School of Medicine also emphasizes the importance of training future physicians to care for communities and populations. Describe how your experiences would contribute to this aspect of the mission of the Yale School of Medicine.
- Research is essential to patient care, and all students at Yale School of Medicine complete a research thesis. Tell us how your research interests, skills and experiences would contribute to scholarship at Yale School of Medicine.
3. Optional (all applicants): This section is optional. It should be used to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee any important information (personal, academic, or professional) not discussed in other sections of your Yale Secondary Application. (500 words)
Please respond to the following essay in 500 words and less: Your reasons for wishing to undertake the combined MD/PhD program, rather than the MD program alone.
The specific PhD program that you propose to follow at Yale.
The strengths of that Yale graduate program and its faculty as they relate to your career goals.
Cracking Med School Admissions
Tips & Checklist:
- Check secondary application deadlines for each school.
- When you receive secondaries, make deadlines for yourself about when you will complete them.
- Try to submit your secondary applications within 2 weeks of receiving them.
- Use the secondary application as a way to write about experiences that were not discussed in the primary application.
- Research each school and look for professors, activities, and programs that complement your previous experiences and interests.
- Proofread essays that you are adapting for various schools.
- Submit your secondaries early!
Yale Medical School Secondary Application Essay Prompts: 2017 – 2018
- The Yale School of Medicine strives to ensure that its students become respectful physicians who embrace all dimensions of caring for the whole person. Please describe how your personal characteristics or life experiences will contribute to the Yale School of Medicine community and bring educational benefits to our student body. (1000 characters)
- Is there any further information that you would like the Committee on Admissions to be aware of when reviewing your file that you were not able to notate in another section of this or the AMCAS Application? (1000 characters)
- Why have you chosen to apply to the Yale School of Medicine and how do you think your education at Yale School of Medicine will prepare you to become a physician for the future? (1 page, formatted at your discretion, upload as PDF)
Yale Medical School Secondary Application Essay Prompts: 2016 – 2017
- Please use this space to write an essay in which you discuss your interest in Yale School of Medicine. (500 words)